Rethink Robotics develops intelligent, affordable, user-friendly robots that can operate safely next to people in a wide range of manufacturing, production and R&D environments. Founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks, former director of the MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the company is successfully introducing robots into organizations and applications for which robots have historically been impractical.
Just as the PC revolutionized the way computers were used by office workers in the era of mainframes, Rethink Robotics is revolutionizing the way people in manufacturing, production and R&D environments can access and use robots in their jobs. Our robots provide a productivity advantage for manufacturers and a robust innovation platform for laboratories, while redefining how and where robots can be used. More importantly, Rethink Robotics’ robots will help change the economics of producing everyday products, making it more competitive to manufacture them in the United States, rather than outsourcing that work to low-cost regions. In this way, our vision of re-shoring manufacturing to the United States is being realized.
The Sr. Software Engineer, User Interface will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary invention, we know that customers only pay for successful execution–so we’re focused on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology, and ahead of expectations. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Sr. Software Engineer – User Interface Mission & Responsibilities
You will join a team of highly talented Software Engineers who work closely with User Experience Designers. Together, you will build a web-based, visual programming IDE that enables the training of robots while providing simple, intelligent feedback to the user. You’ll work as a tightly integrated team using agile development methods. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Support UI concept validation by rapidly prototyping concepts
- Create innovative, maintainable and adaptable user interface software widgets
- Provide time estimates and implementation plans for feature development
- Implement, test, debug and maintain source code
- Review the work of other engineers and provide constructive guidance in a highly collaborative environment
- Make educated trade-offs among scope, quality and pace
- Expand the user interface’s capabilities by using robots to solve specific customer tasks
Key Skills & Experience Required
- Experience with UI frameworks including React, JQuery, Knockout or Angular
- Experience with visualization libraries such as three.js
- Implemented user interfaces that successfully shipped with a product
- Ability to take direction from User Experience and Graphics Designers
- Familiar with Object Oriented Design Patterns
- Has an interest in good software engineering practices and maintaining code quality
- Self-motivated and able to achieve development goals with minimal supervision
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or similar discipline
Preference to Candidates with
- Experience with web build tools: Gulp, Browserify, ES6+, React, npm, nodejs
- Experience with ROS
- Experience developing highly reliable products using test-driven processes
- Experience with continuous integration tools like Jenkins
- Experience with source code control systems like Git
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.