Rethink Robotics has pioneered the development of smart, collaborative robots that can operate safely next to people in a wide range of manufacturing, production and research & education environments. Founded in 2008 by renowned roboticist Rodney Brooks, the company is successfully introducing robots into organizations and applications for which robots have historically been impractical. Just as the PC revolutionized the way computers were used by office workers in the era of mainframes, Rethink Robotics is revolutionizing the way people in manufacturing, production, research and education can access and use robots in their jobs.
The Robotics Software Engineer, SDK will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary invention, we know that customers only pay for successful execution–so we’re focused on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology, and ahead of expectations. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Robotics Software Engineer, SDK, Responsibilities & Projects
The Software team at Rethink Robotics in Boston, MA is looking for a motivated software engineer to contribute to the Software Development Kit (SDK) enabling Researchers and Educators to program Rethink robots. As a programmer at Rethink, you will create open source robotics software used by researchers all over the world, write wiki software documentation, and help guide users by answering forum questions, all while working together with Rethink’s team of top roboticists. In the role you will be:
- Aiding the Software team in maintaining Rethink’s ROS ecosystem
- Working with the open source community to integrate frameworks such as MoveIt and Gazebo with Rethink robots
- Developing software that exposes functionality of Rethink robots for researchers (Controls, Vision, Torque Feedback, etc.)
- Coding researcher demos for Rethink robots with the SDK
- Writing tests for Rethink’s ROS API
- Writing Internal and Customer-facing Wiki Documentation
- Aiding customers by answering forum questions.
Key Skills & Experience Required
- B.S. or higher in Robotics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
- Working knowledge of the ROS Framework
- Experience with Git version control
- Experience with ROS Build System (catkin & CMake)
- Completed software projects (through coursework or otherwise) focused on Robotics
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Ability to speak publicly to a technical audience.
Preference to Applicants with:
- Experience with Gazebo Physics simulator
- Contributions to Open Source projects (on Github or otherwise)
- Experience with Motion Planning and Inverse Kinematics libraries (MoveIt!, Orocos KDL, OpenRave, Drake, Trac-IK, etc.)
- Understanding of core robotics concepts (Kinematics, Dynamics, Arm Motion Planning)
- Familiarity with Linux networking
- A love for robotics!
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com