Rethink Robotics is transforming the way manufacturing gets done, with smart, collaborative robots able to automate the 90 percent of tasks that until now, have been beyond the reach of traditional automation. Its Sawyer and Baxter robots, powered by the Intera software platform, adapt to real-world variability, can change applications quickly and perform tasks like people do. The result: manufacturers of all shapes, sizes and industries get the fast-to-deploy, easy-to-use and versatile automation solution they need to increase flexibility, lower cost and accelerate innovation. The Rethink product suite is available in North America, Europe and Asia.
Based in Boston’s Innovation District, Rethink is funded by Bezos Expeditions, CRV, Highland Capital Partners, Sigma Partners, DFJ, GE Ventures and Goldman Sachs. For more information about Rethink Robotics, please visit www.rethinkrobotics.com and follow us on Twitter @RethinkRobotics.
The Hardware Product Manager will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary invention, we know that customers only pay for successful execution–so we’re focused on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology, and ahead of expectations. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Senior Hardware Product Manager Mission & Responsibilities
We seek an innovative, analytical and experienced Hardware Product Manager to lead market analysis, specification, development and launch of current and next-generation robotic systems. The Product Manager will work within a team environment of highly talented and dedicated peers of product managers, as well as work closely with a cross functional team comprising engineering, design/UX, sales, manufacturing and operations and customer support to define, develop and manage new product introduction (NPI) efforts for hardware products for the industrial automation space. The Product Manager will also be interfacing with potential customers to analyze market needs and wants and use that information to drive product strategy and product development.
- You have been the lead Product Manager for bringing a new product to market and ultimately end of life (cradle to grave) in the past and are excited to do it again with a new product
- Serve as the company evangelist for next-generation robotic systems and product manage existing robot hardware.
- Work with engineering and design/UX to help design and deliver new products by following new product introduction process best practices.
- Develop a company strategy and requirements to ensure compliance with regulatory and safety standards, and Represent Rethink at ISO and ANSI robotic safety standards committees.
- Answer customers’ safety and compliance questions, and educate the customer base on safety and compliance.
- Create detailed market requirements, customer use cases, and detailed product requirements.
- Work with engineering and design teams to develop actionable product plans.
- Actively manage the feature list with engineering and design teams to ensure the development organization delivers products on time and to specification.
- Work with manufacturing and operations to manage new product introduction initiatives.
- Develop hands-on, in-depth knowledge of competitive products and maintain technical analysis of competitive strengths and weaknesses.
- Coordinate the collection, description, analysis and prioritization of requests for product functionality from customers, prospects and internal constituencies.
- Coordinate beta testing of new products and features. Document and report problems and recommend solutions/improvements. Participate in product performance benchmarking activities.
- Support marketing, sales and support through leading the development and maintenance of various technical marketing collateral including application notes, FAQs, product notes, user guides, field training presentations, online marketing content and demos.
- Contribute to company-wide product strategy and roadmap definition and management.
- Manage and prioritize the hardware backlog, including user stories for mechanical, embedded, electrical and controls work.
- Support the development of core positioning and messaging for the product.
- Work closely with project manager to ensure product requirements and milestones are met.
- Work closely with the Support organization to prioritize, escalate and resolve high priority field reported issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or similar, or comparable industry experience in a technical role.
- At least five years of product management experience bringing complex hardware products comprised of mechanical, electrical, embedded and software systems through the full product life cycle. Experience with automation is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience with spiral product development processes as well as with common customer development / voice of customer (VOC) techniques.
- Excellent team player with demonstrable experience working in cross-functional teams composed of design, engineering, marketing and sales.
- Manufacturing experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- This position requires travel to customer and non-customer sites in North America, Europe, and Asia, up to 25%.
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org