Rethink Robotics develops intelligent, affordable, user-friendly robots that can operate safely next to people in a wide range of manufacturing, production and R&D environments. Founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks, former director of the MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the company is successfully introducing robots into organizations and applications for which robots have historically been impractical.
Just as the PC revolutionized the way computers were used by office workers in the era of mainframes, Rethink Robotics is revolutionizing the way people in manufacturing, production and R&D environments can access and use robots in their jobs. Our robots provide a productivity advantage for manufacturers and a robust innovation platform for laboratories, while redefining how and where robots can be used. More importantly, Rethink Robotics’ robots will help change the economics of producing everyday products, making it more competitive to manufacture them in the United States, rather than outsourcing that work to low-cost regions. In this way, our vision of re-shoring manufacturing to the United States is being realized.
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary invention, we know that customers only pay for successful execution–so we’re focused on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology, and ahead of expectations. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Rethink Robotics seeks a hands-on Sr. Mechanical Engineer to join our highly collaborative and talented engineering team in Boston, MA. The Sr. Mechanical Engineer will be an individual contributor. This position will report to the Director of Mechanical Engineering.
- Participate in development efforts for ground breaking electromechanical systems throughout the entire product life cycle – personally contributing to prototyping, product development, system testing and characterization, manufacturing support and ongoing cost reduction and product improvement activities
- Utilize industry best practices for low cost design, design for manufacturing and assembly
- Work closely with other engineering functions to develop innovative mechanical solutions for new and existing products
- Communicate with vendors, and work closely with customers and product managers to ensure designs meet stated requirements
- Contribute to a process of continuous improvement and cost reduction for existing product lines
- Contribute to verification testing and risk analysis activities
- Support product documentation efforts
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Mechanical Engineering plus a minimum of 7 years of experience.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with simulation & analysis tools such as FEA is desirable
- Proficiency in Solidworks (preferred), Pro/Engineer or a comparable mechanical CAD package
- Hands-on experience designing electromechanical products is a plus
- Knowledge of a variety of high-volume manufacturing processes including injection molding, metal casting, machining, and sheet metal fabrication is desirable
- Experience in robotics or industrial automation equipment is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent team player; comfortable working in a fast paced, dynamic, interdisciplinary team comprising mechanical, electrical, controls and software engineers, as well as designers, product managers and manufacturing and operations personnel
- Knowledge of Omnify, EPDM and/or Jira is a plus
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org