Rethink Robotics develops intelligent, affordable, user-friendly robots that can operate safely next to people in a wide range of manufacturing, research, and educational environments. Founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks, former director of the MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the company is successfully introducing robots into organizations and applications for which robots have historically been impractical.
Just as the PC revolutionized the way computers were used by office workers in the era of mainframes, Rethink Robotics is revolutionizing the way people in the manufacturing, research, and educational sectors can access and use robots in their jobs. Our robots provide a productivity advantage for manufacturers and a robust innovation platform for laboratories, while redefining how and where robots can be used. More importantly, Rethink Robotics’ robots will help change the economics of producing everyday products, making it more competitive to manufacture them locally, rather than outsourcing that work to disparate, low-cost regions.
The Field Sales Engineer will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary inventions, we know that customers need successful, pragmatic execution – and we deliver on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology curve, and exceeding expectations along the way. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Field Sales Engineer Mission & Responsibilities
Rethink Robotics is building a first class sales organization from the ground up, and we have big plans and aspirations. The Field Sales Engineer (FSE) will help fuel this ambitious growth. This opportunity will provide the structure for you to be successful with extensive technical training and sales mentorship, combined with a team-based and development-focused management approach. Our FSE will work closely with our direct sales team and our valued distribution network partners to proactively identify and convert new potential customers, deepen relationships and business volumes with existing customers, and ultimately exceed quarterly sales targets.
Success in this position requires solid acumen with technical solutions, a passion for talking with people, problem solving, persistence, flexibility, as well as the ability to identify and prioritize opportunities and a strong drive to generate new business.
The FSE will manage qualified leads and generate new prospects in their respective territory, and work with internal and external teams to provide customers with proper guidance and understanding towards solutions utilizing Rethink Robotics’ products.
The scope of the FSE’s day to day activities will include:
- Application, technical and sales leadership
- Proactive identification and qualification of new customer opportunities
- Product demonstration and sales/technical presentations to a variety of audiences
- Trade show and event support
- Lead development, management and sales execution
- Enablement and development of distribution network sales and technical resources to support business growth in the territory
The success of the FSE will be measured upon the following:
- Attainment of individual, regional and team revenue goals
- Execution of strategic sales initiatives (vertical/region specific, etc.)
- Overall management and development of customers and distribution partners in region
- Demonstration of technical understanding and capabilities in support of their sales management of the territory
Key skills and experience required
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience in the manufacturing/automation space
- 5+ years in a technical sales role
- Experience with high-tech products and solutions-based sales methods
- Proven track record of developing and closing business
- Self-sufficiency with web-based CRM products such as Salesforce.com
- Strong communication skills across different organizational levels (e.g. maintenance staff to C-level)
- Established organizational and time management skills and regimen
- Availability to travel up to 70% within territory (including day travel)
- Comfort with a home office based position, and current address near major city/airport in the territory (Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, or Houston)
Extra consideration will be given to candidates with the following characteristics:
- Background and experience in the robotics industry
- Experience in a high-growth/start-up environment
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.