Rethink Robotics was founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks, former director of the MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and a co-founder of iRobot.
Rethink Robotics has created a new category of manufacturing robots that are intelligent, affordable, easy-to-use, and safely work side-by-side with people on a factory floor. The robots do simple and ubiquitous manual tasks that can be trained by a typical factory technician, and are so versatile and re-useable that they can be deployed in short-run and flexible manufacturing environments. The concept is smart software and sensors making low-cost robots highly functional and changing the economics of capital vs. labor while improving the quality of jobs for manufacturing workers.
The Field Application Engineer, Europe (EU) will be an intrinsic part of a dynamic, collaborative team that believes deeply in the value of what we are doing and that we can achieve it. This role reports directly to the U.S. Support organization. We think big, but we have a bias for action and “making it happen.” While we’re changing the world with our visionary invention, we know that customers only pay for successful execution–so we’re focused on both. We’re out in front anticipating our customers’ needs, ahead of the technology, and ahead of expectations. We’re humble, we’re great, and we’re unconventional. Changing the world has never been this much fun.
Field Application Engineer – EU – Mission & Responsibilities
- Serve as the technical product expert in region for a specific set of customers.
- Provide technical product service and support, troubleshooting product performance issues and determine corrective actions for installed base at customer sites in Europe.
- Collect and analyze field performance data, and provide feedback to internal development and operations teams to reproduce and troubleshoot problems.
- Provide product delivery training.
- Develop an outstanding relationship with the technology staff located at Rethink Robotics headquarters.
- Support product deployments for customer tasks.
- Conduct product demonstrations for customer visits and on-site evaluations in Europe.
Key Skills & Experience Required
- BS in a technical discipline plus a minimum of 5 years experience in a field application engineering position for complex electromechanical products with significant software components.
- Prior customer-facing experience and demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate with distribution partners and 3rd party service providers.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and persuasively with a large assortment of people.
- Functions independently in region as well as operates as part of the corporate support team.
- Analytical, technical and problem solving skills that can be applied to real world solutions.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Excel, Project, Word, PDM, ERP and CRM applications.
- Organization and time management skills, with an ability to cope with a fluctuating workload.
- Outstanding German and English written and verbal communications skills.
- Position requires significant travel to customer sites.
And a plus:
- Experience with small, medium and large manufacturing companies
- Background and experience in the industrial robotics industry and industrial automation technologies such as PLC’s, fieldbus communications, I/O, and robot end effectors
- High-growth start-up company experience
- Bachelors in Mechanical or Software Engineering or related
- Preferably based in Germany and willing to travel 70% across Europe
- Initially spend a significant amount of time in the U.S. being trained on Rethink Robotics products.
Interested? Put your best foot forward and submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.