Rethink Robotics was founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks. Rod was a co-founder of iRobot © (Nasdaq: IRBT) and held positions there including CTO, Chairman and board member from 1990 through 2011.
From 1984 through 2010, Rod was on the faculty of MIT as the Panasonic Professor of Robotics, and was the director of MIT CSAIL, the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. While at MIT, Rod developed the behavior-based approach to robotics that underlies the robots of both iRobot and Rethink Robotics.
Now, as Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Rethink Robotics, Rod is devoted to his mission of creating smarter, more adaptable, low-cost robotic solutions that can help manufacturers to improve efficiency, increase productivity and reduce their need for offshoring.
Select Articles Featuring Rod
Rod has been featured in hundreds of articles throughout his career. To access many of the articles in which he’s been featured since launching Baxter in 2012, click here.
- Why We Will Rely on Robots 9:56, TED 2013 – Rod discusses why we should be concerned about a future with too few robots, rather than one with too many.
- Remaking Manufacturing With Robotics 32:45, Maker Faire 2009
Rod discusses how advances in robotics are poised to make dramatic improvements in industrial productivity
- Robots Will Invade Our Lives 18:44, TED 2003
Rod shows robots interacting with people and answers the question: Will they want to take over?
Archived Books and Articles
- The Robots Are Here Technology Review, 2004. Rod compares robots today to computers in 1978
- Flesh and Machines: How Robots Will Change Us. Rod describes his vision for robots as simple, ubiquitous, curious little machines. Published 2002.
- Cambrian Intelligence: The Early History of the New AI. A collection of Rod’s early academic papers. Published 1999